Honorable mentions to Softlydoesit, Nepenthe, Asaltydog, and Rocque
All the poems can be seen here. (google spreadsheet)
Yo ho ho ho and ahoy there, maties! This here is th’ details o’ a poetry contest fer th’ Perilous Puppets (sailin’ th’ fine seas o’ the Emerald Ocean, if ye don’t know us.)
Knowing us, as you do, you know we are a crew that prides itself on th’ fine wordsmithin’ skills of our brave and brash souls. So I thought this month it would be a grand thing to turn those rhyming talents to a most practical purpose. Ye see, it’s all well an’ good to shout “Avast! We need us some more sailors!” on a pillage. But wouldn’t it be far better to relate th’ same need in rhymed verse?
O’ course ye agree! Yer a Puppet, after all!
So yer challenge, if ye choose to accept it, is to right a poem (or three) that can be used fer pillagin’ purposes. Some suggested topics are:
- Orders (more sailors, carpenters, bilge, etc.)
- “Take a station, mate!”
- How to make a combo in swordfight (or rumble)
- What to expect/do during a viking expedition (or imperial outpost or buried treasure)
- How stations work together (carp->damage, bilge->water, sails->moves. More damage means more bilge water, and more bilge water means less moves.)
- “Please let us know if yer going to be idle fer a bit.”
- Why we don’t divvy the booty until the end.
- Anything similar that comes to mind.
Entries should be in a structured poetic form. (They don’t have to be traditional structures, but please no unrhymed free verse)
Try to match length to purpose. A request fer more sailors, for example, would probably be best as a rhymed couplet or haiku. An explanation fer teaming might to better as a sonnet.
Ye have until midnight pirate (or Pacific) time, February 21st to put together yer entry.
Entries can be sent to Tilinka through a Y!PP forum PM or Facebook message. (If neither of those work, you can also /tell them to me in-game) Please make sure you include yer pirate name with yer entry.
You may enter up to three poems.
- A serpent class sloop renamed to “Poetical Sea Serpent.”
- A head-to-toe Puppet Uniform
- Honorable mentions: Fine pirating hats.